Friday, December 7, 2007

The seventh one

Weather: I wouldn't know, I'm in aircon (probably quite sweaty)
Listening to: Stars of the Lid "And the Refinement of their Decline"

60 000. I'll say it again. 60 000. I've fixed my dramas, and I am writing forward again. The next 30K or so is planned out, and there's some good stuff in there so I just need to get it down. My goal is to get to 100K by the end of the month. In a month that includes my birthday and Christmas. No rest for sinners like me!

Sometimes when I am writing, a little voice in my brain helpfully tells me that I am applying crapola to the page in large measure (I imagine a palette and a spatula, rather in the way that render is applied to walls). That little voice may be right, but there is no place for self-doubt just now. I have promised myself that I am allowed to doubt myself on February the first, but not until then, when I have a 140 000 word manuscript printed out beside me.

Tonight my son fell asleep on the couch here in my office. My husband is out with his brothers and the little guy always feels a bit unsafe when the big guy isn't around. It's primal, I'm sure. So here I am, writing away, trying to hit that magic number (60 000 la la la); and Luka is sitting up telling me increasingly incoherent things as he gets tireder and tireder (is tireder a word; it ought to be!) I could not have imagined, ten yeas ago when I started in this silly business, that I would be able to write with anyone in the room, let alone a small noisy person. Goes to show, most artistic crises are a load of hogwash. If you need to get it done, you'll get it done.

2 comments:

Nicky Strickland said...

WOO HOO on the 60,000!

You so will get there by Dec 31.

Adrenaline is a fanatastic drug that works wonders (unless like me you run out of the supply, then, not so good *lol*).

It is an amazing zone when you reach a point where you can block out ALL distractions. Personally, I think blocking out offspring is one of the hardest ones, but it can be done (says she who fails at it regularly, or woe become he who does do that interrupt...)

Bravo. Deadline schmedline. You'll make it to that point and be drinking in the New Year with champagne of completion.

Anonymous said...

dig the last two sentences.