Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The sixth one

Weather: summer rain
Listening to: Deepspace (aka. my husband www.deepspacehome.com)

I fixed it! The second half of the beginning should have actually been the first third of the middle. Do you see?!?!?!

All I had to do was moderate the pace. Slot in some extra scenes, flesh out some summaries. Now I have added 7000 words to the MS and my middle-not-beginning problem is fixed. I would love to have the time to explain to you what the difference between beginning and middle is (as they have quite different functions) but, alas, it is after 9pm and if I want to get up at 5 to write I'd better go to bed 15 mins ago. See, I even get into my pjs frantically.

I sat in a very nice cafe (okay, it was Gossips at Toowong) last Thursday and nutted out the next big chunk of scenes. Quite pleased with myself. I was rushing (can't think why) and hadn't given a significant subplot (with great narrative potential) its full weight. Now, fleshed out, it gives me lots of material to work with. I have decided that if I can hit 100 000 words by Dec 31, I can finish the book. If I can't make that goal, then I will phone my agent on Jan 1st and ask for more time. I am not good at asking for more time.

Will report back in due course.

Yours
FW

5 comments:

Joanna said...

You make it sound so easy! However, I know it is not, and your methodical approach has allowed you to reach a breakthrough point (re section rearrangements). It sounds like everything has become a lot clearer in your 'mapping' of the sections. I think it is a great idea to have an aim to meet so many words (100,000) by a certain time (31 Dec '07). Good luck!

Anonymous said...

who said fractions were just pies, pizzas, and chocolate bars? there you are using both hemispheres of your telencephalon in one blog post.

when i read this book in a relax state, i promise to take 2 minutes to remember the frantic, over-caffeinated, hyper-typer writer who brought it to me.

Joanna said...

Glad your MS is moving along nicely, Kim, and that you have figured out your transition points. You make the process of writing a book sound so easy. Then again, you have had years of experience, and many, many, many books published. Still, I know you have dealt with a lot of writer's angst getting this MS written, and that hard work and persistence count at least as much as creative talent. It is not an easy process, however much one loves writing. You are obviously a very determined, disciplined and systematic person, despite the distraction of having young children. I like the way you have broken downthe writing of this MS into bite-sized (or chunk-sized!)objectives. Good luck with your next target of aiming for 100,000 words by December 31st 2007!

I have yet to start reading your latest book, Duet (Kim Wilkins AKA Kimberley Freeman), which I bought a couple of months ago.

I am stuck reading half way through another book (by another author of course) which I am not really interested in. It seems an effort to keep reading it. Maybe I should just forget about trying to finish reading it, and get onto reading your book.

P.S. Your husband's website (Deep Space) is very groovy, but I can't access the streaming button. Perhaps you could check that it works from your end.

I have a sister who is a singer/musician in Sydney. Her website is rachelgaudry.com.

Joanna

Anonymous said...

I can sense your joy, Kim; the joy of things falling into place. It makes me smile knowing you were smiling as you wrote the blog entry. :)

Nicky Strickland said...

Go Team Dr Kim! See, your tactics work!

The relief is palpable. I'm glad you broke through the wall. I knew you would (as you've told us all time & time again).