Friday, December 21, 2007

The ninth one

This week has been a turning point. I have written 15 000 words since Monday morning. There is a VAST DIFFERENCE between a book that is 70K in, and one that is 85K in. One is only halfway, and one is on the way to being finished. I'm approaching a turning point, the middle of the middle, and I'm quite pleased with the words piling up, but not at all pleased with the quality of the writing. It is hysterical, melodramatic, people shout at each other without reason.

Ah....

I just have to keep moving forward. It can all be fixed later. The important thing is to write it. I have an interim goal of finishing another two chapters by Xmas, so there will be no rest for me in coming days (including my birthday tomorrow). I must try not to have a deadline over Christmas next year.

It's not too bad, though, as far as a life goes. I start writing at 6, my beautiful husband brings me breakfast and looks after the kids, I finish around 10 and then spend time with the family. When the children go to bed at night, I either do a little bit of other work or play World of Warcraft... it's hardly the salt mines!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it feels a bit salty at times... :)
Many happy wishes for tomorrow and for Christmas, the New Year and the book.

Anonymous said...

happy bidet early.

if life gives you salt mines, make margaritas. or could only a texan understand that?

Nicky Strickland said...

Happy Birthday for yesterday Kim. Hope there was a fun level of indulgence, after the regulatory writing session that is.

Doing well on the word count. Once it's down you can always go back to it later. Isn't that called editing or somesuch? I picked that up off the streets this year somewhere... ;)

May Santa bring lots of gifts under your tree. Perhaps some tequila to go with the salt...

Happy Christmas.

Joanna said...

You sound really positive Kim. 85,000 words - and that was a few days ago. Fantastic! Discipline with a D. Hope you had a happy birthday last week.

Merry Christmas to you, your family and all the bloggers on this site. Hello Katy not Mary, Meg, Gloria!

Enjoy tomorrow. I think you've earned a break, Kim.

Joanna

P.S. Insomniac cure: I couldn't sleep well last night. Whenever I have trouble sleeping I read. I read Duet (Kim's last book for those who don't know) until about 3.00am. It's such a relaxing, entertaining read. Still only half way through it though. Then I got back to sleep.

P.P.S. Maybe my blog comments are too long - verging on letter length. I like Meaghan's and KNM's responses - sharp, witty, snappy. Sorry, I'm rambling. For more of the same quacka duck rambling, check out my blog at http://quakomongo.blogspot.com/

Joanna (again)!